Friday, March 12, 2010

Lessons from Lost Keys


You may wonder why I took this picture. Well, last week I lost my keys. At first, I just grabbed the extra set to use. When I returned home, I started ripping my appartment appart looking for them. I even looked in the refrigerator! I finally decided that I had accidentally knocked them off my desk & they ended up in the waste basket. And, the night before was garbage night. So, if they fell in the waste basket, by now they were on their way to a landfill.

I emailed Staples for a new card. About 6 PM I called my landlord to let him know I lost my keys. Then, I got ready to go to a concert at one of the local high schools. As I grabbed my jacket, I noticed something in the bag where I keep my mittens & wintery kinds of things. It was my keys! What was lost has been found! I thanked God and then called my landlord to tell him I found the keys.

What I realized that night was that in some areas of my life it is easier for me not to expect anything. Then, I won't be disappointed. If I didn't expect to find my keys & acted as if they were gone, then I wouldn't keep looking for them. And, if and when they were found, it would be a time of rejoicing, "icing on the cake."

If this was the only area of my life that I respond to in this way, no big deal. But, if I search myself, I know that this is not an isolated case. I pray God will give me a spirit of excitement, of expectation of what He has planned for my life. I want to embrace it and look forward to it with great expectation!

1 comment:

  1. I once lost a set of keys. I looked everywhere, and since I had just been in the car, I even looked there. I had my husband and daughter check behind me. I didn't have a spare set to the car and had to cancel my appointments and spend the day at home. I was pretty upset and my daughter checked the opposite end of the house until I cooled off. I knew why and figured, hey, maybe she'll find them. Anyway, when my dh got home from work, we had a spare set made to the car. A week later, I was dropping a box of stuff off at the domestic abuse shelter, and when I picked up the box in the back of the car, the keys were under the box! We had all checked INSIDE the box, I had slid the box across the back of the car to see if the keys were underneath it, but none of us had picked the box up until I got to the shelter! I had a good laugh and thanked God for keeping the keys safe. I called dh at work and told him I found the keys. When he finished kicking himself for not picking up the box, he laughed and praised God also. We now know to pick up ALL boxes in the back of the car. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete