Thursday, March 11, 2010

Celebrating Life


During the last 10 days or so, it seems like there has been a lot of "celebrating life." First, Leon was born and a party was held in his honor last Saturday. He is so cute! Then, a friend died. I didn't know her well. Years ago, I went to her house for a small group Bible study. The thing that really got me is that she suffered so much. And, she was my age. There have been several people from my church who have died recently. Remembering and celebrating their lives is always bittersweet. For the last couple of days the sun has been shining, snow has been melting and birds have been singing. Another way to celebrate life! Life has been given to the dirty grey colored snow that has been part of our world for what seems to be forever.

I am involved in a Perspectives class...Perspectives on the world Christian movement. It, too, celebrates life...life in Christ. As I immerse myself in study, I think of Leon and I pray that he will become a man of God, that he will do great things for God because of His faith and beliefs. I pray that people will stand beside him and teach him. I pray one day he will embrace Christ for his life.

Those whose lives we celebrated have been believers and we can be sure that we will see them "on the other side." They have been involved in the building of God's Kingdom here on earth. Now, it is time for their reward.

I wonder...will the Dagaba people of Ghana celebrate life with ancestral beliefs and juju or will they celebrate life by glorifying God within the context of their culture. They can do this honoring ancestors, but not worshipping them. They can do this with traditional food, dance, celebrations, leaving out the juju. Because...Christ IS life!

No comments:

Post a Comment