Thursday, January 7, 2010

Be Not Afraid

Saturday, I will be on the road again. I'll be speaking at a church in central Pennsylvania. I enjoy speaking with people, sharing the stories of faith from Ghana. I love telling others about the children at the orphanage, my favorite village church and daily life in Ghana. I love to tell the story of how God is working in the lives of people.

What I don't love is driving on the Pennsylvania turnpike when it is snowing. If the roads are plowed and wet, no problem. If there is snow and/or ice, problem. I get stressed. I hang onto the steering wheel and practically dig my nails into it. The news shows on television aren't helping. They are tracking the newest storm as it heads this way while cancelling the regularly scheduled programs. I had to turn it off.

What I noticed is if I keep my eyes on the weather reports alone, I worry. My stomach gets tied up in knots. I get overcome with fear. And, yes, I've even shed a few tears. But, why do I let it get to me kike this? It's ok to have a healthy fear of the weather. A person needs to use caution and common sense. But, it isn't healthy to go overboard.

Scripture says "You are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So, do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will stregnthen you and help you: I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:9b-10 Isaiah 43:5a says, "Do not be afraid for I am with you." In fact, there are about 365 times in Scripture where God tells us, "Do not be afraid."

As I drive this weekend, I will chose to keep my eyes not only on the road, but on the Lord, too. I will chose to trust Him and "Be not afraid."

No comments:

Post a Comment