Friday, April 4, 2008

Work in Progress

Looking around my apartment, all I see is work in progress. I have a suitcase started for my next trip to central Asia. I have newsletters ready to stuff into envelopes. I have a new display that is waiting to be finished. I need to "brush up" on some every day greetings in the language of the next country I'll be visiting. I have not one, but two containers of things to take to Ghana (all the trophies will not go this next trip.) My next sermon is in my head, but not on paper. My speech "homework" is always waiting to be done at LEAST once a day. Emails need to be sent, information gathered, supplies acquired. And, if I'm not getting ready for a trip, I am coming back from one and am in the process of unpacking. Everything is in progress, a continuing thing. And, when one thing is finished, there is something to take it's place.

I think that my spiritual life is like that, too. It is a wok in pogess. I have things that are in progress in my spiritual life, things like learning to trust God with my whole life, not just bits and pieces of it. I am learning to love others as Jesus loves me. I'm learning to accept differences in people. I'm learning to be comfortable wherever God places me, even if it is sharing an apartment with two German med students (female, of course.) I'm learning that when I get in a "funk" and don't want to talk with anyone, just stay curled up in a nice fuzzy blanket, that's when I need to pick up the phone & say, "let's do lunch" or whatever. And, most of all, I'm learning to draw close to Him, to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, because without Him in my life, where would I be? I don't even want to guess.

There ae pluses to being amidst a work in progress, too. There is no time to think I have it all together, that I can relax for awhile. For, it's when I let my guard down, the enemy finds a way to attack. So, I'll continue, not trudging along, but joyfully continuing to work with a focus, with a goal in sight. That goal would be to stay close to Him and, when it's time, to spend eternity in glory with Him.

1 comment: