Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Pastors



Yesterday I received a phone call from one of my pastors. It was the third call that I know of in less than three weeks. These guys are amazing! They have challenged me and given me opportunity upon opportunity to speak boldly about my faith. We have had discussions about the Bible, Billy Ghrahm, missions, Africa, and any number of topics. They keep me accountable in spiritual matters, health concerns and in every day life. They opened their churches to me whenever I needed to get away from the world and be in the sanctuary spending uninterupted heart to heart time with the Lord. No, they are not Pastor Brad Neel and Pastor Chris Kindle of Concord UMC (although those guys are great, too.) The pastors I am talking about are my two Ghanaian pastors, Pastor Victor Anderson (Methodist) and Pastor Clement Forkuo (Assembly of God.)
Receiving phone calls from Ghana is not something that I've ever expected or dreamed of. These two servants of God spend part of their day at the Ankaase Methodist Faith Healing Hospital preaching the Word of God, going on Prayer Rounds, talking with patients. They each have a congregation in Ankaase and Pastor Anderson oversees 12 Methodist Churches. Yet, even in the midst of their busy schedules, they find time to personally visit people in the area (by walking) and "pastor" them. They are part of the reason that Ankaase is home to me. They have gone over and above what most people would do to make a person welcome in their church. Every Sunday there was a capsule version of the semon in English so that the two of us who didn't understand Twi would still be hearing the Word of God proclaimed. Thet also made sure we knew the Scripture references and hymn numbers. I learned so much about humble servanthood from these two men of God. I may be in America with Pastor Brad and Pastor Chris as my pastors, but Pastor Anderson and Pastor Clement will always be my pastors, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment