Monday, January 14, 2008

Home


Home. We all want to be at home, to feel at home. But, as I traveled to Ghana, I wondered, "Will I feel as if I'm at home?" After all, I would be there for two months.

Ken Medema has a song entitled "Home." It mentions all the things I think of when I think of being home. Home is a place to hang your hat, a place to spread my clothes, a place that is safe and warm, a place to stand and shout, a place to sit and cry, a place to think things out, a place to wonder why. Home is a place where I can scream, a place where I can dream, a place to sleep in peace, a place to be revived, a place for growing old, a place to face my death.

Is it really possible to feel at home, to be at home half way across the world in a culture that is so different than the one I live in? Yes, it is. I have come to the conclusion that home doesn't have to have 5 rooms and a bath. It doesn't have to have a couch, comfy chairs, a television, microwave, bedroom set or even a toilet seat (although I do appreciate the fact that I do have a toilet seat!) It doesn't have to have a closet full of clothes and shoes or a closet full of sheets and towels or even space for stuff that I "might need." All I need for a place to be home is to know that I am in the will of God. Sometimes that isn't easy. Sometimes being in the will of God is a journey and not a destination. It's during the journey that the concept of being home is hard to grasp at times.

I'm on that journey now. I'm living here in the states, but, my heart is in Ghana. As I seek God's will for my life I am home, but I want to know the earthly destination. Where will I be in a year? In two years? In five years? I hope that the answer will be, "at home, in God's will."

1 comment:

  1. Are you able to post a photo album on your blog spot? I would love to be able to look at the photos you took again. I've also been telling others about your trip and they are interested to see them as well!

    ReplyDelete