Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Saying "Good-Bye" is Hard to Do


September 16, 2018 is a day I won't soon forget, if ever. That is the day I said "Good-bye" to what was home for almost eight years. More importantly, that was where my Ghanaian family and friends lived. My "kids," who call me "Makum" or "Grandmother" wanted to be with me before I left. I was supposed to leave Lawra at 6:00 in the morning. But, this was Ghana. I was destined to leave a bit later. My small boys said they would be at my house at 5:00 in the morning. "Oh, no you aren't" I told them. They could come at 5:30. I totally expected Boniface to be camped on my doorstep as early as possible. But, it was Pius who came first! After we talked small and snapped some pictures, the rest came along...Reuben with his younger brother, Rudolph, Boniface and Barnabas. They all came to see me off. 

What will I do without these sweet children in my life? It would be a lot quieter, that's for sure. I think I would rather see their smiling faces. Eventually, Razak and his wife, Dora and his daughter, Kataali came. When Anokye came, we loaded up the truck and said our last farewells. I don't think there was a dry eye to be found among us. I was leaving  with my heart full of love for these people and yet, my heart was full of love for my friends and family in the US. It was time to travel back "home" to the US. A chapter of my life was closing, another would be opening.

On the way to Accra, I tried to be "brave." I tried not to cry. After all, there were two guys in the truck. I couldn't cry in front of them. Yet, even today, my eyes are moist because I miss my children/grandchildren in Ghana. Would I see them again? Maybe. Maybe not. Only God knows. I do know all of our lives will never be the same because of our love for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment