Friday, January 5, 2018

Cultural Differences


I feel as if there is one aspect of living in Ghana that I will never understand fully. And, I doubt if I will ever fully embrace it. I  tried and I keep trying and I will continue to try, but....

What is this cultural difference that is so hard to embrace? Is it eating dog meat? Nope. Is it urinating wherever you can possibly imagine to relieve your bladder? Nope. Is it malaria? No. Is it 15 hour bus trips to get anywhere? No, not at all! "Then, what is it?" you may ask. I will tell you. It is WAITING, constantly waiting. There is no such thing as people showing up on time for a meeting. Meetings have to be scheduled early so people will arrive by the correct starting time. When the plumber says, "I am on my way coming." he may show up four hours later. I will take my motorcycle to get serviced at 8:00 am and go to pick it up at 5:00 and it hasn't been touched yet. Ugh! It's not just Lawra, it's everywhere! On Christmas Day, worship was at 9:30 in the morning. How many people were in church at 9:30? One. Me. I'm so passionate about this today because I was to meet with someone at 5:00 this evening. And an hour later, this person had yet to show up. I did manage to speak to them on the phone once. "I am still at the workplace." was the response I received. No further call. No suggestion to reschedule. This person knew I was waiting and yet....WAWA (West Africa Wins Again)

Now, this person may have been in a meeting. They may have gotten an assignment close to the end of the day. But, in this culture, no phone call is necessary to say a person will be late, maybe we should have our meeting tomorrow. When I am in the villages, I try to remember a lot of people don't have cell phones, clocks or watches. And, if they do, the battery probably is spoiled. As a Westerner, it is difficult to keep am open mind. During rainy season, it is easier because so much depends on the weather. I always thought that being on time showed respect to the person/persons you are meeting. Here, if a person has to depend on public transportation, time is not anything they can control. The vehicle leaves when it is full there is no schedule. 

I pray that the Lord will give me the insight and wisdom in these situations. That I would experience His peace. After all, when I get upset at someone for being late, am I forcing my culture on them? It's something to think about.

By the way, the person I was to meet with tonight never did show up. Never called.


No comments:

Post a Comment