Monday, January 9, 2017

What Would You Do for a BLT?


In Lawra, there is definitely a shortage of recognizable meat. One of my stand bys has been bacon, which is unheard of where I live. "Bacon, what is that?" "It is pig meat." "Oh!" Bacan can be used for so many things.But, my favorite is a good BLT sandwich. Since I had been so sick and also busy during Christmas and new Year's Day, I decided to take a few days and go to Tamale. In Tamale, I could get BACON and an excellent BLT sub. 

So, on Tuesday, I got up at 3:30 am to prepare, leaving my house at 4:10. I walked to the station and boarded Yaro's tro tro. We made it to Wa in time for me to board the new Metro Mass Transport bus which was headed to Tamale. We should have arrived by noon. Notice I said, "should have." Yes, it was a new bus. Bright, cheerful, with air con. Yet, a half hour into our journey it glided to a halt. The warning beeping started...the annoying noise that lets you know something is wrong. The driver got out to check on the problem. He couldn't find it. So, he called for a mechanic. Over an hour and a half later, the mechanic arrived, no tools, just holding on to a piece of wire. He tried and tried to find the problem and fix it. An electrician was called. But, wait, the mechanic fixed it! The motor was running...two and a half hours on the side of the road. We started moving. Then, after about three minutes, we stopped again. But, this time, no annoying warning sounds. We were waiting for the driver. Apparently, he went somewhere as we waited on the roadside. Twenty minutes later, he arrived, got on the bus and pulled out. We were now on our way to Tamale and my BLT sub. 

Finally, at 3:00 pm, in front of me sat a most delicious BLT sub. Mmmm...heaven on earth. You now know what I would do for a BLT. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment