Friday, July 15, 2016

A Rainy Day


The rain started during the night. It was wonderful! The wwind and the sound of the drops hitting the zinc roof made sleeping very nice. I was surprised that the electricity was still working. Usually during a good rain, it goes off. When I got up at 5:00, it was still raining. It felt as if I should curl up with a good book. But, first, I made coffee.

When dawn appeared and it was light enough to read outside, I took my coffee and Bible out to the veranda. It was a bit chilly. I had to put on a long sleeved flannel shirt and slippers. I was definately making a fashion statement! I had been walking into town for breakfast this week, but, I had some odds and ends of jelly and cheese to use up. So, when the rain let up to a drizzle, I walked to town to buy bread for toast and grilled cheese. It's a good thing I went when I did. I got only slightly damp. About five minutes after I returned home, the heavens opened up and it poured for hours. We haven't had a rain like this since last year.

Here, in Lawra, most people walk wherever they go. Some use a bicycle for transportation. And, some use a motorcycle. So, what happens when there is a day of pouring rain? Children go to school late. Some schools don't have windows, so the children have to move their desks close together in the middle of the room when there is wind with the rain. Daily market is closed. People lose their income for the day. No one will venture out in the rain. Small businesses are closed because the workers can't make it into work. Sick people don't go to the clinics. How could they go? They would get drenched. Those who cook on wood face the challenges of finding dry wood. If it rained like this on a Sunday morning, worship services would be postponed until the rain stopped and held later in the day.

The rain is desperately needed by the farmers who  depend on growing their own food to feed their families. So, for them, the rain was most welcome. They hope that their crops will be enough to feed their families for the upcoming year. For me, it was a much appreciated day of rest. Cool temperatures, a book, a cup of tea...Thank You Lord, for refreshing the land and refreshing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment