Sunday, February 7, 2016

Kunyukuo


Ten days ago I was posted to the Kunyukuo Methodist Church. Today was my second Sunday to preach in this small village. I hopped onto my motorcycle around 8:30 in the morning to begin my challenging ride to the village. I have driven to Kunyukuo four times now, and I am far from an expert. There is a paved road for a couple of miles. Then, the dirt road begins. Not only is everything dry and dusty, so one has to be aware of loose dirt and gravel, but there are also several home made speed bumps, a bridge that is falling apart, rocks in the earth and V shaped ditches dug across the road (I like those the least!)

Once at the church forty minutes or so later, I am greeted by Matthias, the Society Steward. He helps with the business of the church. I walk inside, and there are PLENTY children waiting for the service to start. Total numbers are small, but, that is fine with me. As we get into a regular routine, people will come. 

Both Sundays I have asked, "Is there anyone here who can read English?" No hands went up. Hmm...I was hoping to get some people involved by reading the morning Scriptures. Then, I asked, "Is there anyone here who can read Dagaare?" No hands went up this time, either. Matthias and myself are the only ones. So, today he read the Epistle reading and I read the Gospel reading in Dagaare. I have asked "Uncle" if he would teach people to read Dagaare. He said he would. (Uncle is an older gentleman who is unable to walk, so he doesn't come to church. This would help keep him involved. So, I will continue my quest for Dagaare New Testaments.) 

Both Sundays, the service was very low key. The drum is spoiled and is being fixed. And, I know Matthias needs to brush up on his "church" Dagaare. (I may be able to help him with that. A Dagaare New Testament will help him, too.) The children have out numbered the adults. I know the word of God will be heard and people will come, not because of me, but, because of God. I am hoping people will invite others. In the meantime, we will come and worship and sing and hear the word of God. And, leave the rest up to the Lord!

After service, we stand around and talk. Mama gives me fried groundnuts to take home. I hop back on my motorcycle, a bit more slowly than earlier, and start the drive home, praying for safety. Kunyukuo is a lovely little church with precious people. I pray God will use me to do His will in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment