Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Date to Remember



Many aspects of my ministry are not structured. The ministry of presence and taking advantage of God moments are very much a part of what I do in Lawra. So, saying this, here is the story of my morning...

Today was a very special day. Pius, Boniface and myself would walk into town to have breakfast at the Tea Shop. Since Boniface is usually at my house by 8:00 in the morning, I told him when he got up, he should bath and get dressed and come to my house. Today, of all days, he didn't come. Oh! It was almost 9:00! I walked to his house to pick him up. Then, we went to pick up Pius.


Pius was ready and waiting! (complete with knit hat because it was "cold" outside.) We started off toward Ali's Tea Shop, greeting people along the way, talking about school and all kinds of things. They were so funny. "Shhhh. Be quiet!" was what I was told as a group of six people approached us and passed us on the street. Hmmm.... 

We arrived at the Tea Shop and ordered bread and egg for all, Milo (chocolate) for the boys and Nescafe for me. They were so excited! They said please and thank-you and were very polite, and VERY excited! Pius and Boniface were so fun to watch. After each boy finished their breakfast, they were given money to buy bread to take home. And, of course, the universal rule is whoever carries the bread, keeps it. Needless to say, the boys carried their own bread! Before we left the Tea Shop, we read the Bible story about the Wise Men from the East, tomorrow's Scripture reading. When that was finished, we started our walk back.


On the way home, the boys politely and correctly greeted the policeman, shaking his hand. As we neared Abraham's Auto Repair Shop, the boys decided to greet him, too. So, they wished Abraham a "Happy New Year" and shook his hand. Then they dropped off their bread at their homes and came to my house to play, along with Stanley, Stephanie and Amanda. It was a busy morning.

I thank God that I have the privilege of being part of the lives of these children. I pray that I am showing them His love in action, not just talking about it. And, I hope I am teaching them about God's wonderful Word. I am also showing them that adults can make mistakes - and ask for forgiveness. (Maakum is not perfect!) I pray that God will give me more moments to help shape these young lives. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are having fun with your "grandchildren"! God is good!

    ReplyDelete