Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Glimpse into Life in Lawra - Garbage




Garbage...rubbish...trash, its all the same: stuff that has lost it's usefulness and you want to throw it away. What do you do? There is  garbage collection, recycling, composting, maybe even giving clothes to a second hand store. But, what do you do when you live in a country where these things aren't available or are available only sometimes? Read on:

When I first moved here, dealing with garbage was a challenge. Then, little by little, I learned what to do! Since I live by myself, my garbage is limited. Any vegetable/fruit waste that I have, I throw outside for the roaming goats and sheep to eat. Any bones and meat scraps, I save for friends who have dogs. Used toilet paper, as well as other paper garbage gets burned. Plastic bottles are given to friends to use to put porridge or water or another drink for their child to take to school. Clothes that are still useable, I give away. Those that aren't, I burn, especially undergarments. Electronics that don't work anymore, I soak in water before putting them in a bag to take to a rubbish collection receptacle.  Cans and bottles go there, too. Local people will go through trash and pick stuff out to use, not knowing the condition of the item or if it is still useable. I try to pass on what is useable. But, not everything is useable when I finally throw it away. 

So, there you have it - another glimpse into my life in Lawra. Never take for granted your garbage and recycling collection!



No comments:

Post a Comment