Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Life in Lawra - Cow in Hole

 
So here's the thing...I almost had fresh beef today! The chief's cattle were grazing through my front yard as I was disposing of some leftovers from my grandpuppy, Ruby. I heard a SPLASH. " What was that?" I wondered? I looked up and saw a cow in a cement water collection hole. The cattle were being herded by some small children, so I called to them. Then, I told my neighbor, who is a daughter of the late chief. She KNEW who to call. And, she called PLENTY of people!

 
A man who Beatrice, my neighbor, called "uncle" came. He tried and tried to free the cow, pulling this way and that, even putting his fingers up the cow's nostrils to get good leverage. Eww! When some small boy came, the boy pulled at the cow's horns and Uncle pulled the cow's tail. It looked like it would hurt. (Can a cow's tail get broken?) Needless to say, the cow did not get out of the hole.

 
Finally, the Fulani man, who is to take care of the chief's cows, came. Uncle jumped into the hole and pushed the cow up, while the Fulani man and children pulled up from outside the hole.


 
The final result? A freed cow...who was not very happy to have been in the hole. Needless to say, those of us watching, watched from a safe distance. No beef for dinner tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is getting better and better. :-)

    ReplyDelete