Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Visit from John


Last Friday morning, I was outside my house early (6:00), taking pictures of the gorgeous sunrise. I was thinking about hopping on my motorcycle (in my Christmas jammies...they were long sleeved and long trousers) to take some pictures along the LawSec road when I saw a young man walking towards me. He was carrying a torch (flashlight) and a small, black book, which looked like it could be a Methodist hymnal, but was really a King James Bible. I greeted him. He told me he was being spiritually attacked, could I help him?

Hmmm...old white woman, young black man, 6:08 in the morning. What to do? I asked his name. "John." "Are you the John I spoke with in Kalsagri?" "Yes." I invited him onto my veranda and we began to talk. I realized I was over my head in this. John had a tormented soul. I didn't know all of the cultural spiritual beliefs and battles, so I called Razak. He would know what to do. He said he was on his way coming. Meanwhile, Fortune, the woman who helps me twice a week arrived. (Good sigh.) I served water and began to prepare tea. Razak arrived and sat with John and talked.
John said that when he tried to sleep, three bears would come to chase after him. He was sure if he was anointed with oil and American water, that this would stop. Razak spoke truth to him. He asked John about his beliefs and what was he doing to prevent these spiritual attacks. So, they talked some more. Razak told him that American water wouldn't help. And, even being anointed wouldn't help if John didn't take some action in this situation. God wasn't like some magical wizard, say and do the "proper" things and all would be well.
After the guys had their tea and talked for about an hour, we prayed. Razak anointed John with oil, asking the LORD to protect John and watch over him and draw John close to Himself. Would you continue to pray for John, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment