Thursday, November 14, 2013

Choices


 



Lately, I have been VERY aware of the choices I have to make. Not the big choices, like what do I make for dinner or do I FINALLY work on that report that is almost due or even the bigger choices of should I marry, but the smaller, every day choices. (Don't worry, I am NOT considering marriage since their is no man in the picture!) The choices I am talking about are:

~ Do I get get angry because the telephone service often switches over to the Burkina Faso service so I can't use it OR do I choose to be grateful that I have telephone service at all?
~ Do I get upset because my luggage did not make it on my flight to Tamale OR do I choose to be thankful that I have luggage and have been blessed by so many people on my trip?
~ Do I get nervous that I still hear bats at night OR do I choose to relax and be comforted with the thought that they don't sound like there are many in my roof?
~ Do I get an impatient because the Internet is slow and not a 3G connection OR do I choose to be grateful and be satisfied with the connection I have here where I live?
~ Do I get cranky because the tro tro (a very crowded van held together with duct tape) is not very clean, OR do I choose to be grateful that the tro tro is working and will get me safely to Wa?
~ Do I get troubled that my Visa card didn't work in Lawra for 6 months OR do I choose to be thankful because I have money in my account that I can withdraw? 
~ Do I get upset because the electricity went off at a most inopportune time OR do I choose to be grateful that I have electricity?
~ Do I place myself in a cocoon so I have very little interaction with co-workers and friends, OR do I choose to embrace life in a new country and her people?
~ Do I get offended because people cannot speak their national language, English, OR do I embrace the beauty of the sounds of their language and try to learn it?
~ Do I get discouraged because not many people come to Lawra for the sole purpose of visiting me OR do I choose to be refreshed by the people who write letters and emails to me and even send me packages!
~ Do I get distressed because the bus broke down and I arrived home four hours later than planned OR do I choose to be grateful that the bus was able to be fixed and I arrived home safely on the day that I first entered the bus? Do I choose to be grateful that it was not raining during the four hours it took to get the bus fixed?
~ Do I get nervous and panic when so many people come to the Kalsagri church OR do I choose to pray and thank God that so many people want to worship Him? Do I ask Him for His words to say?

I love this quote from Charles Swindoll, “We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” 

We all have choices. What will yours be today?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Mamma Sue: I do not respond much to things on Facebook but I read them often. Your posts are an inspiration and your blog provides me with courage to deal with my disappointments. Maybe one day I will return to Ghana but it is in my heart and you my friend help keep my memories alive and positive. Much love, God Bless
    Pegi from Canada

    ReplyDelete