Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Undisciplined

Undisciplined...that about sums up the struggles in my life. I know I am not the only one who struggles with this. Monday, I had a dental implant. So, I basically didn't schedule much this week because I didn't know how I would feel. I had all day yesterday and today so far to do as I want. Did I take optimum time with God? No, but I did take some time. Did I eat properly. No...I found out that even after oral surgery, it didn't hurt to eat! Did I exercise? Hmm...do I even remember what that word means. Did I just rest and enjoy the day since my schedule has been so hectic? No, I did a little bit of everything. (Of course today, I regret it.) And so goes my story of woe...
 
I know what I should do. I don't do it, though. I'm not the only one with this issue. Romans 7 tells us about Paul, "What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. (v. 15) I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. (vs. 18-19) It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. (vs.21-23)"
 
So, if Paul was undisciplined, what chance do I have? I have a pretty good chance of turning the tables, just like Paul had. Why? Because my God, and his, is bigger than anything else! I can turn the desires of my flesh, the way I spend my time, spend my money, even how I eat, exercise or what I think...God can change all of that. If I give my desires to Him, He will renew my life. I will once again live passionately for Him. How about you? How do you want to live?
 
Father God, I give to You my life, as undisciplined as it is, so that I can do all things through You. I know that with You I am able to overcome the areas of my life that do not glorify You. Change me, O God."



No comments:

Post a Comment