Thursday, July 5, 2012

Barka, Gandy's Cove


A few weeks ago I had the privilege of being a part of a team from Gandy's Cove, AL. They came to Ghana to share the love of God through a medical mission trip. The pastor of their church led the group...he had lived in Ghana with his family for four years and was taking the group to places he had been in the past.

What a blessing this group of eight had been, not only to me, but to the people of the villages where they worked. I was able to see first hand how a team in Ghana can work. I had been a part of several teams in Russia, but doing the same type of thing in Ghana can be a nightmare! First of all, travel for a large group can cause one's hair to go grey and can be very expensive. Eight was the perfect size! Next, sleeping arrangements for a large group, especially when away from the large cities can be a challenge. The size of this group made accommodations reasonable.

The Gandy's Cove group showed me how a medical clinic can, and in many ways, should be run on a day to day basis. All patients were treated with love and dignity. Waiting time was as short as possible, with people working constantly until the medicine ran out. And, the team prayed with and for the patients. Each morning, we prayed for those who would be seen. And, the doctor and nurse, as well as others, prayed for individuals as the Spirit led them. People were so grateful for that! Sometimes, I think they appreciated the prayer more than the meds. Also, clients were touched, a hand on a shoulder, a touch of an arm, holding a hand or a child. Most Ghanaians are not demonstrative when it comes to affection. And, the human touch an be a source of healing. So, we made sure that people were touched on the arm, back, shoulder, head...just to let them know that they were special, not forgotten and that they are loved!

Most of all, I was blessed by being part of God's family who happen to live in Alabama. Life and especially work can be very demanding, with challenges that most Americans can't imagine. So, God used these dear people to put His salve on my spirit, to renew and energize me, to remind me that He is here in the midst of all the turmoil I face and He is watching over me. I have ideas that hopefully can be put into practice at our clinic, ways that can point to Jesus. And, I have a bit more courage to do and say the things that are needed. May God be glorified!

Barka, Gandy's Cove! (Thank You, Gandy's Cove.)

1 comment:

  1. It was a blessing to have you as part of the team, Sue. We learned many valuable lessons from you. You were a good role model for us.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete