Saturday, December 24, 2011

Weights and Measures

Shopping at market in Lawra can be a learning experience. It is the same in much of Ghana. In America, when I shop for fruits and vegetables, they are priced according to weight. I can buy a pound of bananas for a certain price. The same for tomatoes, onions, potatoes, etc. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. A watermelon isn't usually priced by the pound. Neither is corn on the cob. But, I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Here, in Ghana, I buy a pile of tomatoes for a certain price, a stack of onions for a certain price or an apple for a certain price. There are no scales at the market, it's all by the number of items and their size. Buying rice and maize and soy beans is a little different. Those are sold by the "bowl". A bowl holds a tad more than 10 cups...I know because I measured my bowl today. Usually, the seller will pile the grains so there is a little pyramid of grain over the top of the bowl. This is how I bought maize, guri and beans for the children. I was grateful that the rice was already bagged!

Next, I had to bag the various items for each family living at the centre as well as the rice for the staff Christmas gifts. I'm not real adept at that. I won't say how much rice ended up on my living room floor! I was instructed to make the bowls "water full" so that everyone received the same. It all was bagged and some handed out. Today I will give the rest so that the mothers will have their items to cook for their Christmas dinners. Rice and maize and special spices and canned mackerel for Christmas dinner. It's something that these people rarely have, it is a feast for them. Makes me stop and thank God for the many blessings He has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment