Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Shopping, the Upper West Way!

Christmas is quickly approaching. I have been asking people who live in the Upper West how they celebrate Christmas. For everyone who is a christian, Christmas is definitely a special day, a most holy day. People worship the new born King. As for family celebrations and Christmas gifts, those are very simple. There are no Christmas trees or hanging stockings. There are no big piles of presents. But, people do visit each other. And yes, they go bearing gifts. But, not like we would bring gifts in America. The gifts given are rice (most people can't afford to eat rice very often) and, if possible, a chicken, which would be alive! For the majority of people who live in the surrounding villages, Christmas is the only day of the year that they eat meat. It isn't because they don't like it or are mainly vegetarians, but because they can't afford it. So, Christmas here is simple, very simple.

It reminds me of another Christmas many years ago. It was a very simple Christmas, too. No one mentioned eating rice or chicken. The housing situation wasn't like the Hampton or Holiday Inn, it was simple. I doubt if it were very clean. But the day was filled with wonder, awe and worship of the new born King. People came to visit, too. They also brought gifts, simple ones - their worship of God's only Son. It was a Christmas that people still talk about today.

So, this year, I am going to focus on the simple things - the Christ Child and how and why He came. I will give gifts - rice and maize. (I won't be carrying around many live chickens.) There will be no Christmas tree with a big pile of gifts under it. I have a few simple decorations. They are quite enough for me. I'll visit my kids, bearing gifts for all...gifts of rice and maize...and some other "fun" stuff, too. I will tell the Christmas story. And we will celebrate with minerals (soda pop) and biscuits (cookies) and we will play. But, most of all, we will thank the Father for the most precious gift of His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment