Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Night Fires

Last night, I was watching a movie and I heard a noise. It sounded as if great, big, fat drops of rain were hitting the ground. I thought, "Praise God, it's raining." We haven't had rain for six weeks. I went out on the veranda and looked closely - I almost held out my hand to feel the drops. Then, I saw it. The fires. To the left of my house & behind it, the fires were eating up the dry grasses. They were making a popping and crackling sound. The sky was lit with orange. And, when the wind started blowing, it urged the fires on towards the front of the house. After 15 or 20 minutes, it was over. The flames had died down and the fire department hosed the ashes with water. Now, there are large black areas where just 2 months ago, grasses, flowers and other plants grew. It is just a way of life here. The rainy/growing season, then after harvest the drier seasons and time to allow the gifts of the harvest to see us through the rest of the year. I wonder if it is like going up to the mountain top and then returning to the valley to put into use what God has taught me. A time to remember what God has done in the past and will continue to do. For He is faithful and I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment