Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Boy and His Fish


I have been trying to think of what to post…something profound. But, no thoughts came to mind. So, instead I am posting the story I wrote for my Dagaare lesson this past Friday. The translation follows. Enjoy!

Bie tɛri zim kpɛɛ.
A zim kpɛɛ be a laalɛduor puo.
A zim yiɛlu, “N bɛ bori fo ɔb me.”
A zim zona yi ne do tie.
A deblɛ buol o, “Sik wa!”
A zim kpɛɛ zorɛ dabie sik wa.
Lilkpɛsɛpla yakna a tie sazu.
A lilɛ nyɛna a zim ne yakna a kyɛn a zim zie.
A lilkpɛsɛpla ɔba a zim.
A deblɛ kohena a kulen bonso a lilkpɛsɛpla ɔba o zim.
Baar.

The child has a big fish. The big fish was in the small yellow bowl. The fish said, “I do not want to be eaten.” The fish ran outside and climbed a tree. The boy called to him, “come down!” The fish was afraid to come down. A big black bird flew above the tree. The bird saw the fish and flew to him. The big black bird ate the fish. The boy walked home crying because the big black bird ate his fish. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment