Saturday, February 19, 2011

On the Road to Lawra

On Wednesday, February 16, the truck was loaded with refrigerator, stove, all the household stuff I bought and my cases that I brought with me.
Then, I left Accra with Mary Kay and our driver and started my journey north towards my final destination of Lawra in the Upper West Region of Ghana.
The roads, at times, were bumpy and dusty.
We stopped along the way in Ankaase, to spend the night. In the morning, after visiting Osofo Anderson and his wife, we visited another good friend, Maggie. Maggie formerly worked as house help for colleagues who worked in Ankaase. When I last saw Maggie two years ago, I asked her, “What will you do when they leave?” and she answered, “God will provide.” And, indeed He has! Maggie is now the headmistress of a nursery/preschool, Royal Christian Academy that meets in the house she and her husband, Richie had built. It has more than 200 students in attendance! When we were there, the children were still arriving and class had not yet started.
On the road again…although sometimes it was very narrow. We were trying to find the shortcut to a village where one of Mary Kay’s churches is building a girl’s dormitory. It was the correct road and we finally made it!

 Next, off to Wenchi to check on some bore hles that Mary Kay had drilled. That’s were we spent the night, due to the generosity of Wenchi Methodist Hospital who put us up in a guest house for the night.
In the morning, we left for Wa and eventually for Lawra. In Wa, we greeted the pastor and introduced ourselves. It turned out that there was a meeting at the church of the pastors in the circuit (32 “societies” or churches) and we gave greetings there, too. I saw my friend Rev. Salia there. What a blessing! Then, I bought a gas cylinder to connect to the stove. Propane is used. When we arrived at the gas site, there were more than 50 cylinders ahead of us! When we picked it up later in the evening, ours was filled and there were more than 100 people in line. There had been no cooking gas for months!

We arrived in Lawra, late afternoon. We greeted the people at the Lawra Integrated Health Centre. After that, we went to my house and unpacked the truck, met my neighbors and I received the keys to my new house.

I now have a HOME in GHANA! Praise God!

3 comments:

  1. Sue, thanks for sharing. Akwaaba! I look forward to following your adventure here on your blog.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya Sue...be blessed and safe. I wake up every morning to Costa Rican Coffee and read your updates. I pray for safe travels and amazing people ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, it's good to hear you reached your destination safely. I have been following your journey both here and on Facebook and will continue to do so. I've found that the adventure God has sent you on to be fascinating.

    Mark Dobrzynski

    ReplyDelete