Thursday, February 10, 2011

Are You Willing to Pay the Price?

A few days ago, I was reading the devotional for the day in the book, My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. What I read had really challenged me. The topic for the day was the cost of sanctification. Am I willing to pay the price that is needed to be sanctified? I needed a definition for sanctification to fully understand the question, for in my mind I know what sanctification is, but could I explain it to someone else? Chambers defines sanctification as, "being one with Jesus so that the nature that controlled Him will control us." He continues, "The resounding evidence of the Holy Spirit in a person's life is the unmistakable family likeness to Jesus Christ and the freedom from everything which is not like Him." What a goal! I know that Christ was living with the nature of the Father controlling Him. He did everything so that the Father would be glorified. Do I want that for my life? Really? I have to answer with a resounding, "YES!" but so many times I do not allow myself to be controlled by or led by the nature of Abba Father. My life does not always reflect the family likeness of Christ's life. He spent time with the Father...Christ's mind was like the Father's mind. Scripture says, "The Father and I are One." Am I One with the Father? I know there are brief moments of life that I know I am. Those moments increase and become longer as I become more mature in my faith. And, then, there are other times when the family resemblance isn't so strong. I need to be wiling to be set aside for the Holy Spirit to work in me and through me so the Father may be glorified. And, I pray, that this desire is much deeper than mere words. "Holy Spirit, work in me."

No comments:

Post a Comment