Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bonwire

There is this amazing town in Ghana named Bonwire (pronounced "bone weary") that is known for its Kente cloth. Visitors from all over come to watch as the artisans hand weave the cloth into narrows strips of colorful and most times, very intricate patterns. Each pattern symbolizes something, it has its own story to tell.

I had the opportunity to visit Bonwire in 2008. The main Kente cloth shop was closed. But, the owner was found and graciously opened his shop, invited us in, showed us how the weavings were done, showed us his wares and answered all our questions. We each ended up buying some cloth from him...I bought some in Steeler colors to give to friends. It was such a relaxing day.

Today is not so relaxing. I feel "bone weary." I feel tired straight down to the center of my bones. I struggle to stay awake and focused. I wonder if I should give up and take a nap. Yet, I continue...because isn't that what I'm "supposed" to do? I was taught to gather up all my strength and keep on keeping on until every last item on my list was finished. Then, do a few more things for good measure. That's the way to do it!

Many countries have an afternoon rest or "siesta" time. I wonder if they just might have the right idea. Stop for awhile. Rest. Get renewed. Then, continue the work of the day. I like the idea of renewal, of refreshing the spirit. Oftentimes, a nap isn't needed, only the refreshing of the Spirit. I know today I need that type of refreshment for my weary bones. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment