Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Imagination

As I have traveled to work with children in several countries, I have noticed that many do not know how to use their imagination. It has never been encouraged, so, it has never been developed. Oh, the children will do whatever you ask them. They are excellent at learning by rote, but, they have never been encouraged to think for themselves. They have been taught to listen to their elders and to learn whatever has been presented to them in the exact way it has been presented.

Many times, when given manipulative toys to build with, to play "pretend" with, the kids have no idea what to do with them. When I took some toys to the Lawra orphanage this happened. The children didn't know what to do. So, I built a cube. Then, everyone wanted me to build a cube for them or they built one themselves. I finally said, "No, now it is your turn. Think of something else to build." It took them quite awhile. Eventually, they did begin to use their imagination and built other things.

How sad not to have an imagination. When I am in Ghana and the temperature is over 100 degrees, I like to imagine one of those freezing days similar to many of the days this past winter. Using your imagination helps one think for themselves in a positive way. I pray that children everywhere will be given the freedom to use their imagination for fun, for good, and, I know that some will use it just to help them survive. Pray for these children!

"Logic will get you from A to B, imagination will take you everywhere."
~Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this over and over here in Mexico and in our son Ryan's school. I'm concerned that he has/ will fall into the same pattern that he needs to have everything done for him. The only teaching method employed here is memorize, memorize, memorize. He gets bored so easily, begins to chat with his friends, and then gets himself into trouble with the teacher. Thankfully he's very interested in Legos and we have encouraged this, buying a ton over the years. We even have a corner of our living room we affectionately call "Legolandia"! Any other suggestions? Or suggestions we can use with our students in the seminary because they are the same way. They have great difficulty completing any kind of assignment that's more than just copying information. :(

    ReplyDelete