Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Cost of Discipleship

This morning I was reading and studying Luke 14. There is a lot of good stuff in that chapter. But, the one verse that has caused me to think about, to ponder over the most was verse 33. In the NRSV it says: "So, therefore, none of you can be my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions." I wonder, what possessions am I holding on to? My stamping stuff? The time period of 4:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon to watch Judge Judy? My root beer barrels? THE projector? My stuffed dog I sleep with or Mr. Mooey?


Am I willing to give up my time, all of it, to further His Kingdom, no matter what time of day OR night? If I need to spend time with God, or do something for Him and it is 4:15 PM on a Wednesday, would I do it? I hope so! Am I willing to give up all my stamping stuff? That's a little harder. I love making cards and sending them. But, again, if that is what is keeping me from following Christ, taking the time I should be spending with Him, then, it has to go.

In the past, I have given an awful lot to follow Christ, to be His disciple. But, I didn't look at most of those things as something that "costs." I looked at them as something I would gladly do. I embraced the opportunity. There was one thing, though, that was costly, very costly, and, it wasn't easy. But Christ was with me through it all. And, He chose to use me for His glory since then.

It all boils down to this: "Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good bye, you can't be my disciple." The Message Mark 4:33

No comments:

Post a Comment