Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monarch or Mascot?

Do you attend church on Sundays? I do. Most of the people I know also attend church on Sunday, some even go to services or Bible study during the week. What I am wondering is what is your motivation for attending church, attending worship, attending a Bible study? What is my motivation?

I hate to admit it, but my motivation for attending church last Sunday was guilt. I wanted to stay in bed. I didn't want to get up & get ready to be seen in public! Nevertheless, I went to church.

It seems like we to church to hear good music, sing uplifting songs, to hear a message that will make us feel good so we leave the sanctuary full of new vision and vigor. We want to be cheered up by the time we leave. We want God to rebuild our confidence, to reinforce for us the great things that we are doing for God. We want to feel good and God makes us feel good. He confirms for us over and over that all must be well. We are so proud of Him and we are happy to be identified with His name...But, what happens the rest of the week? Do we need to go back to church to feel good again? Does all that is within us crash when things don't go our way or a crisis happens? Do we really rely on Him daily or just on Sundays, like a mascot at a football game?

It seems contradictory, but many of us have redefined Jesus as someone we can both admire and ignore at the same time! We see Jesus as praiseworthy, but overall, we keep Him in reserve calling to Him as needed, when it's convenient. We see Him as our helper in our adventures and in life. But, isn't there more to Him?

Psalm 110 is the most frequently quoted Old Testament passage by New Testament writers. It's because it speaks most clearly about who and where the ascended Jesus was, and at the same time, it speaks clearly about who they were as His willing servants in the midst of a tremendous conflict. The reality is the Lordship of Jesus Christ. In Psalm 110, we can see that peoples and events everywhere are being woven into Christ's reign. This psalm makes it clear that Christ has been exalted to rule even in the midst of tremendous opposition. We serve Him every day not because He makes us feel good, but because we are being obedient. Because we want to see His mission purpose fulfilled, no matter what the cost.

Why do I go to church? Ultimately, I go to church because I serve a risen Monarch who has a wonderful plan, to bring all the nations to Him. And, He loves me enough to give me a place in it. I go to Church to worship, praise and adore Him and I continue that during the week, so that when I receive my marching orders, I am ready and wiling to go, not holding anything back.

No comments:

Post a Comment