Thursday, December 24, 2009

God is Doing a Good Work in...Me?

This morning I realized that God really is doing a good thing in me. For years I didn't like the Christmas Season because of the emphasis on family. It was everywhere (and probably still is.) Going shopping for family, family dinners, decorating as a family, going to church as a family where the Advent wreath was lit by...a family! Now, I'm not against families, but even after years it still hurt that I was divorced and that I was never blessed with children. Living at least 2 hours from family didn't help either. I ached to be part of a family at Christmas. (I want to stress that I loved the Reason for the Season!)

Then, two years ago, I made my first trip to Ghana. I prayed that God would work a miracle within me that Christmas season. I had taken a Bible with me, but it wasn't a study Bible. And, I didn't have a computer with me. I preached 10 times while there. At least 5 times were during the Advent/Christmas season. God and I had several long talks that year. I knew He was with me. Christmas in a Ghanaian village is very different than here in the US.

Last year, I had knee replacement surgery in December, so I didn't make it out for all the Christmas festivities. I was basically home bound most of the month. I was able to make it to church Christmas Eve, but that's all.

Now, it is Christmas 2009. And, I have realized that the family thing doesn't bother me! I volunteered to light candles & read at the Christmas Eve service tonight at 10:00. I thought I was volunteering to light the altar candles & read the Scripture. The reality is that I will be lighting the Advent Wreath and Christ candles and read those readings...and, on what I beleive to be my last Christmas here for several years. Praise God! He is so good to me!