Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Someone Who Has Touched My Life



This young boy's name is Kwabana. He lives in an orphanage in Lawra, in the north western part of Ghana. And, he has TB in his bones. He's the oldest child in the orphanage, yet smaller than most. When he smiles, he can light up the whole country. He doesn't have a "Woe is me" attitude. His attitude is one of servanthood, wanting to help. When I was there two weeks ago, I had taken some fruit for the children with me. Kwabana wanted to help, so he took a bag from me. It was filled with oranges! The poor dear tried to lift the bag and put it on his head to carry the oranges. His arm was shaking because of the weight of it. My friend, very politely said, "Here, Kwabana, let me carry that for you. You can carry this for me." and gave him a small, lightweight package. Kwabana held out both his hands and cradled the package as if it were priceless crystal. He carried it safely to it's destination, then went outside to be with the other children.

Sometimes, I, too, try to carry a load that is just too big for me to bear. And, my heavenly Father says, "Here, Sue, let Me carry that for you. You can carry this instead." And, what He gives me is something I can handle because He has taught me how to carry that type of load.

I pray that I will always be open to what the Lord has to teach me through others. I'm grateful for the lessons He has taught me and still continues to teach me. May I always have a teachable spirit.

1 comment: