Sunday, March 16, 2008

Starting the Day Right

I had a neighbor who went to be with the Lord a little over three years ago. He and his wife had a habit of starting the day with communion right at their kitchen table. They would open Scripture, read Jesus' words that He spoke at the Last Supper, partake of the bread and juice and pray. After his wife died, Albert continued this habit. I remember sharing communion with him, and after he died, with his family. It was such a nice way to focus, to remember, to be grateful, that I started to have communion at my kitchen table every morning, too.
Then, for whatever reason, I stopped. Maybe I was too busy one day, or too tired, or didn't have any juice. Whatever the reason, I stopped. During lent, I have had communion in a several different settings. And, I was reminded of communion with Albert and the love he had of his Savior, and of his faith. I remembered, too, what communion in the morning did for me, a reminder of what Jesus Christ did for me because He loves me. Can you imagine that? He loves me! And, not only me, but you, too!
So, I bought grape juice and matzah crackers and put a Bible on my kitchen table. Now, I wake up and have my morning moments with the Lord. And, in those moments, I am so much more vulnerable and so much more open to Him and what He has to say to me than any other time of the day. I am more open to Him then than when I read Scripture or do a Bible study because it's during this time I talk to Him from my heart, without an agenda. Each morning, I am amazed at His mercy and grace, Somedays it is painful, other days there is comfort, always peace and joy from knowing Him. This is something that has helped me in my walk with the Lord. Maybe it will be a help to you, too.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your writing style Sue! You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan, but it's not me, it's the Lord!

    ReplyDelete