Sunday, January 6, 2008

An Amazing Christmas

Today numerous Christians around the world celebrate Christmas. I am, too. I am celebrating by having family and friends over because I was in Ankaase, Ghana for Christmas on Dec. 25.
I had a special prayer for Christmas this year. I hated the holiday season, especially after I was divorced. It seems every place I would go I would see families together...husbands and wives, children. Many people say, "Christmas is for the kids." My heart would hurt because of the losses that I've experienced in life. And, no matter what I did, the hurt was still there. Oh, it wasn't as strong as it was at first, but, it never went away...until this year.
I prayed that this would be the year that God would do something new in me. I prayed that my spirit would be refreshed and made alive this holiday season. And, it was. Because of the ministries I was involved in while I was in Ankaase, I was constantly in the Word of God. I had the opportunity to preach four Christmas sermons (without even a study Bible with me.) The worship services at Freeman Methodist Church were amazing. (Rev. Anderson is pictured at left. This was during the Christmas eve service.) Ghanaians worship with their whole body, with their entire being. To worship in entire freedom is an experience I will never have here in the States. Christmas wasn't about me, it wasn't about gifts or decorations, it wasn't about what the kids want, or even having family close by. Christmas is about THE Gift, God's one and only Son, the Word made Flesh and Dwelt among us.
God didn't speak to me in the wind, in the earthquake or in the fire. He spoke to me in the still, small, Voice.

1 comment:

  1. Sue,

    What a wonderful gift you were given this Christmas. Welcome to the world of blogging!

    Michelle
    (Christ UM Church, Erie)

    ReplyDelete