Saturday, November 26, 2016

114 Days


114 days. 114 wonderful days. 114 busy days. 114 long days. 114 days in the United States. In many ways, those days seemed too short. I spent time with family and friends. I enjoyed summer days at the lake, cookouts, coffee shops, shopping, a peach festival, making greeting cards, going to movies and eating popcorn, going out to eat, and snuggling with Lulu (my senior brother's dog.) 

I spent time with supporting churches. And spent time with possible new supporters. I attended continuing education conferences. I traveled to and through several states. And, I missed my people in Lawra.

During the first of those 114 days, I kept watching a video of one of the children who come to my house...it was of video of him making great armpit noises. It made me laugh. (I can't tell you how many times I watched that video while I was gone.) I talked about my "Ghanaian family" whenever given the chance, always wondering what they were doing. I was missing life happenings with them. Oh, when I returned to Ghana, both Elvis and Junior were walking! They weren't walking when I left. I would wonder how my little church was doing. And, I was saddened that I wasn't in Ghana to grieve with my friends when Uncle Christopher died.

On of the hard things about living in another country is always missing the country that I am not physically in. When I am in Ghana, I miss being in America. I miss my sister and brothers. I miss my friends. I miss my home church. I miss celebrating holidays with family. I miss the festivities that go along with those holidays. But, I love my life here in Ghana. I love the fact that God chose me to live this life. I love my little churches. I love the children who come to my house. I love the "laid back" lifestyle. I love that everyday is different. Sure, things don't always go the way I want them to, but, that is part of life, especially life in West Africa.

During those 114 days, people would ask me how it felt to be home. Home? Where is "home"? Right now, it is in Ghana. And, during those 114 days, I missed being there. Today, I thank God for returning me safely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment