Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Making of a Garden, on a Savannah!


For almost two years I have wanted a garden. So, when my friends, Tula & Gary were coming to visit and Gary was planning on planting me a garden, I was very excited. When Gary came, the reality of life on a savannah hit him, as well as the rocky, clay filled soil. Needless to say, a garden was not planted. It was ok. Gary did plenty of other things.

A few weeks ago, I threw some watermelon seeds into a hole. And, God grew them! So, my dear friend, Jonas Delle, took it upon himself to make sure I had a garden, a safe place for watermelon to grow where the sheep, goats and cattle would not eat them. 


One day, after work, he came with his CUTLASS to dig/cut out holes in the hard earth. These were pole holes - holes to put in poles which would be part of the fence. The fence would be made from nym branches which he cut down and removed leaves and whatever else was on them.



My two friends, Gabe and Sydney came to help build the fence. But, Sydney and I are not Ghanaian. We did NOT want to build a fence in the heat of the afternoon.


So, when the poles were in their holes, we pleaded with the guys to let me lash a fence together small, small, each day, in the morning, before it got hot.


The guys agreed and we stopped our work for a photo op!


It took a week or so, and plenty of curling ribbon (I used what I had) and the fence was finished.


Now, the next step...making cages for bell peppers and banana peppers and tomatoes. The carpenter, David, said he just cuts the wire with the wire cutter on a pair of pliers. Where are Chuck and Gary when you need them?


The almost finished product! Seeds were planted, and I did finish off the fencing on the right side, by the house. I've watered my seeds, God has been giving PLENTY of sunshine. I will wait patiently for the harvest!

Honor the Lord with your wealth and the first fruits of all your produce,
then your barns will be filled with plenty,
and your vats will be bursting with wine.
Proverbs 3:9-10


No comments:

Post a Comment