Monday, October 14, 2013

A New Appreciation

 
I have another new appreciation. "Of what?" you may ask. "Of groundnuts (peanuts), of course!" Groundnuts are a major crop here in the Lawra area. They are a good source of protein. I buy small bags of them for 20 pesewas (about 10 cents.) But, if you knew the work that goes into making those little bundles of groundnuts, you may never sell them because you are definitely not getting anywhere near what you put into them.
 
First, comes the planting, growing, weeding and harvesting...all by hand with hand hewn tools. next, comes drying the groundnuts. That is what I am doing in the above picture - drying the groundnuts that have been given to me. After 6 or 7 days, I can shell them. And then, boil the nut in very salty water. Next is another time of drying. The last step is frying or roasting. Finally, eating! That is the way I like them, roasted,salted, out of the shell. It can take weeks.But, it is worth every step, every minute of preparation...YUM! I will have to wait before I eat. I am grateful for the Kalsagri church members who have blessed me with portions of their groundnut crop...Peanuts, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment