Monday, September 2, 2013

Dee Dee

 
One of the hardest things for me here in Ghana, is hearing of the death of someone to whom I have been close and not being able to be with the family and others I have grown to love. Last night, I heard of the death of my dear friend, Dee Dee. When I moved to Munhall, PA, a very long time ago, Dee Dee took me "under her wing" and said she would be my "mother away from home." Dee Dee was much more than that.
 
Dee Dee was a woman of deep faith, prayer, and hope. She saw me through many good times. And, yes, many, many difficult times. Yet, she always believed, always hoped, never gave up. She always encouraged me to find God in each day, in each situation, no matter how much despair I was feeling. It was Dee Dee's prayers that got me through many days. And, it was Dee Dee who connected me with another woman of faith, Ava Steiner. Dee Dee and her husband, Jim, drove from Johnstown to Beaver Falls to be with me and celebrate with me when I was commissioned as a full time missionary. The day would not have been complete without them.
 
Many times, Dee Dee welcomed me into her house, made me feel at home. Sipping tea, and just talking...it brings back many memories. In her, I saw examples of such a Godly woman, mother, wife, grandmother...Christian. The last time I saw Dee Dee, she was just a shell of the woman I knew. The Parkinson's had taken its toll. Dementia was in residence. The love that her husband showed her was amazing...and, I cried all the way home - two hours!
 
I will remember Dee Dee for so many things. Part of her lives within me. And, one day, I will see her "on the other side." I love you, Dee Dee...for always! 

No comments:

Post a Comment