Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Busy Week

 
 
One of my favorite times of the week is Sunday morning, between 7 and 7:30, when I drive my motorcycle out to Kasalgri. The air is still fresh and clean and crisp. Hardly anyone is on the road, only those walking the long way to the Catholic church for mass. My body gets a bit chilled. Ahhh...Then, I arrive at church where at least 20 children are waiting for me. Francis, an 18 year old student has already picked up our benches from the chief's house. He has our little church ready for service. He will teach one Sunday School class to those who are in their teens and older. I will teach the younger ones.
 
We wait until 8:15 to start class. There are 40+ children. Benches are carried out under the big trees and we sit in the shade. With the breeze blowing, it feels almost perfect! I teach the Creation story, saying a few things in Dagaare. I am so grateful when the words come to me! Next, worship service. There are close to 100 in attendance. We are trying to work out how to best arrange benches to allow for dancing. Francis interprets for me. He is learning. (We meet with some other teens on Saturdays to prepare for the service.) The preaching is up to me, with help from the Holy Spirit. After church, people bring me their sick children and their questions. Next, we visit a small girl with a tumor in her mouth. We are hoping to get her the medical attention she needs. I go home and rest before I visit people in the late afternoon.


Monday, is a day of preparation. Fortune, the woman who comes and does some work for me comes in the morning. Anokye will come this afternoon with the water filters for distribution tomorrow. But, mid morning, I receive a phone call from him. He is already in Wa! So, I hurry to Priscilla's house to work with her. I want to have that finished before Anokye arrives. I call the pastor to inform him that Anokye is only 1 1/2 hours away, at most. When Anokye arrives, it seems like my day is finished because I am busy making plans for tomorrow or doing other things, preparing for later in the week.
 
Tuesday, Razak comes on the pastor's motorcycle, I take mine and we drive out to Kasalgri. The pastor is with Anokye and Mary, Anokye's daughter. We visit two communities, greeting people, preaching, telling them of friends in America, showing people how to take care and use the filters and finally, we distribute the water filters. Lunch is served at the pastor's house. Yum! Fufu! Then, I arrive home, mid to late afternoon, exhausted. It looks like rain...
 
 
Wednesday is a health clinic in Kalsagri, the first one. There are challenges...no tables, no chairs, no anything! Everything has to be brought from the chief's house where some of those things are stored. We work without other things. Seventy-seven people are seen today. Most have insurance, some don't. Boy, I thought I was tired yesterday. That was nothing compared to what I feel now!
 
Thursday was SUPPOSED to be my day off...but, I have an afternoon meeting. So, I sit at my desk with several Bibles open and prepare for Sunday's service. I attend my meeting and mention that I was planning to go to Wa on Monday to renew my visa. I found out Monday was a holiday. After the meeting, I rush home, prepare a letter for my pastor that needs to go with the visa documents. He approves it. I get it signed and arrive home about 3 minutes before the rain comes! It only rains a short time. but it did rain!
 
Friday, I got up and got ready to go to Wa. I left my house before 6:30 in order to get back from Wa by mid afternoon. I arrive at Immigration by 9:30, documents, passport, and fee in hand. "Please, God, let everything be acceptable." At 10:30, I leave the office, passport in hand, stamped with my new resident visa. "Thank You, Jesus!" Now, market and home! I do walk in my door before 3 pm.
 
Saturday, I finish preparing for Sunday. I also prepare for our "English" class...going over Sunday's Scripture and Bible study with the Junior high school students. I don't get home until 5:30 or so. It has been a VERY busy week. Lots of things have been accomplished. Mostly, I am tired and am looking forward to a Sunday afternoon nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment