Monday, August 2, 2010

PILAT - Week Two

The second week of PILAT was just as amazing as the first. Each morning started off with devotions. And, one morning we were blessed with several gifted musicians who led our worship time.
After devotions, it was back to work learning all about pitch, tone, intonations and reviewing phonetic drills.

I never knew that 5 vowels could make so many different and distinct sounds! It is incredible. What is even more amazing is that I could differentiate between the sounds! We had transcription practice daily to check our understanding of the sounds that we heard. At times, it was challenging, but it also taught us to have fine tuned ears...and how to watch, look, and listen as someone speaks!

Our class in which we practiced the methods we had learned was a lot of fun. Our language helper was so very patient with us. We each had several opportunities to lead the language acquisition activities. I know I feel a lot more confident about language learning after attending PILAT.

Later in the week, I had my one on one with one of the instructors to review my plans for language learning. Basically, it is up to me, how much I do or do not learn after I move to Ghana. PILAT gave me the tools, now it is up to me to take ownership of my language learning & put those tools to good use.
The weekend was an opportune time to walk on the New Santa Fe trail and check out the fresh bear tracks. It is a beautiful trail, and an easy one to travel if you have bad knees!

I walked into Palmer Lake to see the sights, but one of the best sights is the lake itself!

The last two Sundays, I worshipped at the Little Log Church in Palmer Lake. Again, it is close enough to walk, about a mile and a half or so. The people there are very welcoming and love the Lord.

All in all, PILAT has been a great experience and I know that everything I have learned will be put into good use. The people here are dedicated to equipping people to serve the Lord in every nation AND in every TONGUE.






No comments:

Post a Comment