Friday, February 20, 2009

Teenage Friends


I just returned from having lunch with two teenage friends. I almost didn't go because I had "stuff to do." I am so glad I went. I feel so privileged to have teenagers in my life that aren't embarrassed to be seen in public with a 55 year old woman. I did a couple of errands with them in addition to eating out. I am so glad I went. They keep me young. And, in some small way, I am impacting their lives. One of these two - the boy - even called me up on Saturday to wish me "Happy Valentine's Day!" How sweet is that?


Also this week I had the opportunity to shop with another teenager. I needed something for my trip to Ghana and needed her input. We stopped at three stores to find the best item, then went to Starbucks. It was such a good couple of hours.


So often I tend to stay home by myself. Once I'm out, I'm ok, but it's getting out that's hard. Maybe it's because right now it's so cold out. Maybe it's because I travel so much I like to stay home when I can. The problem comes when I don't go out to be among friends for more than a week or so. Then, depression can set in. I tend to sleep too much at those times, and shun others.


That's not how God made us. God made us to be relational beings. And, even though it might be hard to step outside some days, I'm always grateful I did. So, to my "Favorite Four Teenages"...keep calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment